The shots were fired almost exactly ten years ago. On November 4, 2011, Uwe Böhnhardt and Uwe Mundlos put an end to their lives in Eisenach. The date marks the beginning of a horrific and deeply shameful realization: two serial killers had been able to commit their crimes unchallenged for years.
Under the name "National Socialist Underground" ("NSU"), they carried out numerous attacks against people with an immigration background, killing nine of them and a policewoman. Police, the judiciary and politicians dismissed the terror as milieu- or drugs-related crimes, sometimes even targeting the victims' relatives. To this day, the systemic failure caused by ignorance and incompetence has not been comprehensively dealt with. Even after the conviction of accomplice Beate Zschäpe and some of her helpers, and despite the work of a number of investigative parliamentary committees, the bottom of the brown abyss remains in the dark, with questions unanswered about the extent of the right-wing network, collaborators and terrorist structures ...
Over the past 33 years, the CIVIS Media Prize has been awarded to contributions which, in journalistic or artistic formats, have excelled in dealing with right-wing extremism, racism and anti-Semitism. A selection of these productions from television, radio, cinema and the Internet can be found here.
CIVIS nominations (2004-2021) and prize winners (1988-2021)
This selection is related to "Looking into the abyss"
- White Fragility Why Whites Tend to Overlook Racism
- Coming Home Episode 1: The German IS Battle Unit
- Black Lives Matter in Switzerland - People of Color in Switzerland Commenting on Racism, Protests and Events in the USA (1/3)
- Hey, I’m a Jew! Young. Jewish. German.
- Feature am Mittwoch: Halle October 9 - One Year After
- The Carolin Kebekus Show - Episode 3: Racism Special, incl. „Brennpunkt“ (focal point)
- Arte Re: Brave against right-wing rock – a small town defends itself
- Informationen am Morgen: Chemnitz from a Jewish perspective
- MONITOR - Pure racism: an advertising poster and its consequences
- Bohemian Browser Ballett: Festival in Saxony
- die story: Anti-Semitism in Europe
- Young, Bavarian, Jewish | Multimedia series against prejudices
- hr2-kultur DER TAG: "Limits of Enlightenment – Right-wing Violence and the Legal System"
- No room for the Right-Wing : www.kein-raum-fuer-rechts.de
- Panorama: "Alternative for Politics: Emotions instead of Facts"
- Dok 5 - Das Feature: "Right up to the last breath. Ultras and the radicalisation of the fan culture in football"
- A Man and his Mission - Against Neo-Nazism in East Germany
- In Enemy Eerritory
- Angermünde and Elsewhere
- Here We Are - Jews in Post-War Germany
- Clobbered and Dumped – The Forgotten Victims of Racist Violence in Germany
- Liebe, Flucht und Sauberkeit: Eine roma-deutsche Familiengeschichte
- He Who Sows Violence ...of Citizens and Arsonists
- Comments on the Solingen Arson Attack